Friday, November 28, 2008

Foxwoods Trip

So my friend Jason and I went to foxwoods today. We tried to get up early to make the 180 dollar tournament they were having there at 10am, but we got there at 10:40am instead. This was mainly because of me and how late I set my alarm for. Another thing that sucked was that the banks were closed until 9am, and we left at about 8:30am so I was only able to withdraw 500 from the ATM. This would come back to bite me a bit later on. But anyway we got there and were pretty happy to get put onto a newly created 1/2NL table and I set 1 seat to the left of Jason. I bought in for the maximum 300 Jason bought in for 200. First hand we play I'm dealt QQ. I hate getting a good hand on the first hand, I like to have some time to loosen up first. But nonetheless I raised it to the standard 15 preflop and 2 callers, one of whom turned out to the quite terrible, something I didnt know at the time. Flop was like AT9 or something, I know the Ace was there. Anyway we all check, then turn blanks and the terrible guy leads, I call, fold. River blanks, he leads again about 1/5 the pot, so I just obv call and he shows T7 and I take it down.

Basically the play was horrible, in particular this one degenerate who was down about 600 or 700 in about 3 hours. I got it in preflop AK vs 88 vs KJ (the degen), lost, got it in JJ vs K9(the degen) preflop, lost that too. The JJ hand was funny, I was in the BB and I had just taken down a few pots in a row and been somewhat vocal about it. Then when I raised all of the limpers with JJ, the degen tilts his head back, rolls his eyes, and in frustration just shoves it in and I snap called him. It was unfortunate It couldnt hold, it really would have been satisfying to bust him. I actually think I played pretty well on the day but at this point I only have about 100 left which is the part that I'm really tilting about since it's the one time I didnt bring at least 1k in cash and it's the one time I actually needed the extra cash. Luckily it's about lunch time and me and Jason hit up some italian place in the resort. While waiting for food I called bank of america to get them to increase my daily withdrawal limit and proceed to get hosed by the ATM fees as I take out 600 more. We head back down and I proceed to play pretty badly but get lucky as I went from -400 to -200. So in the end I ended down 200, overall I'd say I ran pretty badly though which always seems to happen live. As we were leaving Jason was down 97 so he put 100 on red on the roulette wheel and luckbox'd his way back to +3 dollars on the day.

Playing live can be a lot of fun and a nice break from the normal online grind. It's very refreshing to be reminded just how many bad players there are who are willing to play for significant amounts of money. Players who are completely incompetent and have no idea what they are doing. I've heard the play at 5/10 NL is pretty much just as bad as 1/2 NL, I would love to someday take a shot up there. Hopefully I will be able to someday after my little HU

No comments: