Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Getting Fat

So I've been doing nothing but school work, programming flash work, and playing poker lately. I play on the club tennis team but since it has gotten cold and nasty outside we haven't really played much. I've basically just been sitting on my ass all day with no physical activity at all. I've gone to the gym and played sports my entire life and I've always considered myself very much in shape, but I've noticed that I'm getting a little gut. I really should not neglect my body like this, I need to keep myself in shape. Since your body and mind is at the root of all you do, keeping them in shape subsequently helps everything else you do. Also a healthy body promotes a healthy mind and vise versa.

I haven't really been playing much poker as of late since work has piled up and I am amidst finals week at the end of the semester. Every time I have actually sat down to play a session, it has always been at the expense of something else, such as schoolwork, so I feel particularly guilty every time I do. From what I have played there hasn't been anything all that interesting but I've been running pretty well and I'm up 1250 so far in December thanks a lot in part to my session today that I finished ahead 460.

I ran into one player who was 3betting preflop 35% over 280 hands so but he was somewhat passive postflop. Then this hand came:

Hero (BTN/SB): $315.80
BB: $106.70

Pre Flop: ($1.50) Hero is BTN/SB with 7 6
Hero raises to $3, BB raises to $10, Hero calls $7

Flop: ($20.00) 8 7 8 (2 players)
BB bets $13, Hero calls $13

Turn: ($46.00) 6 (2 players)
BB bets $34, Hero calls $34

River: ($114.00) K (2 players)
BB bets $49.70 all in, Hero requests TIME, Hero calls $49.70

Final Pot: $213.40
Hero shows 7 6 (two pair, Eights and Sevens)
BB shows 5 A (a pair of Eights)
Hero wins $212.90
(Rake: $0.50)

Given how often he was 3betting me, I took him off of overpairs and his double barreling range of club draws and strait draws just blanked the river. Moreover I just "felt" like he really wanted this pot given the rythym and psychology of the match thus far.

No comments: